The Friends of East Riding Youth Orchestras is a registered charity that was set up over 50 years it. It supports the work of the Schools’ Music Service in providing opportunities and experiences for the musical youth of the East Riding of Yorkshire through fundraising activities, events and supporting activities at ensemble rehearsals and concerts. FERYO raises money to benefit young musicians and singers in all of the East Riding Schools’ Music Service ensembles.
How are funds raised?
- Annual membership subscriptions
- Individual, school and corporate sponsorships
- Funds raised through Smarties tube filling by the ensemble members
- Gift Aid
- Programme and refreshment sales at concerts
- Raffles and Tombolas
- Tuck Shops at rehearsals
- Bag packing and busking by the ensemble members
- Fundraising events, such as the very popular Jazz & Quiz Night, Coffee Mornings and Barn Dances
- Market Stalls
How is the money used?
It benefits ALL members in ALL orchestras and ensembles:
- to provide a large subsidy towards the cost of senior players’ summer tours
- to subsidise coach travel to concerts and festivals
- to ensure full participation in tours, regardless of financial circumstances
- towards the purchase or hire of music, instruments and accessories
- to purchase music bags for all ensemble members
- to provide refreshments for ensemble members at concerts
- towards the repair of instruments
We also use the funds to sponsor the East Coast Musician of the Year competition.